These bagels/rolls are pure Keto magic! They are absolute game-changers, IMO. Super low carb, great texture, nice mild flavor (or spice them up with garlic granules, onion flakes, chopped green chiles, etc. if you like!) As long as you can tolerate dairy, they are fine for any stage of your Keto/low-carb journey. (If you have an auto-immune condition or a lot of inflammation, however, and/or you are not losing weight like you’d like to be, then cutting out dairy can be a big help.)
This recipe can be made as bagels, or as rolls of pretty much any size. As small rolls, they’re fabulous loaded up with pastured butter, and are a great accompaniment for soups or stews, or as a quick snack on their own. As large rolls, they’re like hamburger buns, or large Kaiser rolls. And as bagels, they are – like any self-respecting bagel – excellent with a load of lox and cream cheese piled on top. They also work great with sausage & egg for a breakfast sandwich… or ham & cheese for lunch… mmm…
Anyway, here they are – enjoy! 😀
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella (2 x 6oz bags)
- 4 Tbsp. cream cheese (1/4 cup)
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 eggs
- Optional add-ins: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, minced green chile, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, throw in all of the ingredients together at once. Mix on high for several minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl every couple of minutes, until it’s a well combined, fairly homogeneous, very sticky mass. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, this can be done in a large bowl using a hand mixer and lots of patience and elbow grease.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and grease the parchment paper (coconut oil spray works well for this).
- Fill a separate large bowl with clean water for dipping your hands into, set it next to you, and keep your hands well rinsed and wetted throughout the following steps:
- For bagels, split the dough into 6-8 equal parts, then roll each part into a ball. Stick your thumb through the middle of the ball, shape into a bagel shape, and place on cookie sheet.
- For rolls, create balls of dough of pretty much any size up to 4-5″ in diameter (larger might also work, I just haven’t tried that yet so I can’t vouch for them!), and place the balls onto the greased cookie sheet and you’re ready to bake.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes for rolls, 18-20 minutes for bagels, or until golden brown and quite firm on the outside.
Note: I did try using mozzarella logs, sliced, to save some money and some carbs (since shredded cheeses typically have a bit of anti-caking agent on them), but it didn’t work.
These do great being frozen, so I typically make a double batch and then keep them in the freezer, well-wrapped, and just take one out whenever the desire for a bagel or roll strikes. Which, let’s face it, could easily be every single day. 😉